I'm very excited about the new year and all of the new magic it will bring into our lives, and belly. So, today I'm starting off this blog with a simple Lentil Soup recipe.
There are several types of Lentil Soups, they are a great source of fiber, protein, and iron. During the winter I really enjoy hot soup like many others and especially love the smell of my home when food is simmering on the oven for a few hours slow cooking that nights dinner.
This is one I threw together late this morning to cook in my new crock pot.
Since I've only used the crock pot once it's an experiment because I'm using dry beans that I didn't soak the night before hand.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium celery stalk, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and small dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 14-ounce caned San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes in SM puree
- 1 1/4 cups dry beans (I used 3/4 cup brown lentils, 1/4 cup chick peas, split peas)
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped fresh thyme leaves and stems (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 5 medium large brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in two.